What is Radon and how it can affect you.

Posted by:

Radon is a gas that has no color, odor, or taste and comes from the natural radioactive breakdown of uranium in the ground. You can’t see, smell or taste radon. It could, however, be a problem in your home. There two main ways that you can be exposed to Radon, either by the air in your home or in the water you drink.

If you live in an area with high radon in groundwater it can get into your private well. Showering, washing dishes, and laundering can disturb the water and release radon gas into the air you breathe. Radon also has health effects as studies show that inhaling radon can increase one’s chance to having lung cancer greater than stomach cancer.

Radon can be removed from water by using one of two methods:

  • Granular Activated Carbon (GAC)
  • Aeration treatment

Granular Activated Carbon is one method for removing radon from water is a granular activated carbon (GAC) unit. Although these units come in a variety of models, types and sizes, they all follow the same principle for removal. For radon removal, GAC units are constructed of a fiberglass tank containing granular activated carbon–a fine material that traps and holds the radon. Because of the carbon’s fine particle size, it may easily clog with sediments or other contaminants present in the water.

Aeration units physically agitate the water to allow the dissolved radon gas to be collected and vented to the outside. With new technological advancements in home aeration, these units can have radon removal efficiencies of up to 99.9%. When considering installation of aeration units, other water quality issues must be taken into account, such as levels of iron, manganese and other contaminants. Water with high levels of these types of contaminants may need to be pre-treated in order to prevent clogging the aeration unit. Disinfection equipment may also be recommended since some aeration units can allow bacterial contamination into the water system.

In either treatment, it is important to treat the water where it enters your home (point-of-entry device) so that all the water will be treated. Point-of-use devices such as those installed on a tap or under the sink will only treat a small portion of your water and are not effective in reducing radon in your water. It is important to maintain home water treatment units properly because failure to do so can lead to other water contamination problems. Some homeowners use a service contract from the installer to provide carbon replacement and general system maintenance. Remember to have your well water tested regularly, at least once a year, after installing a treatment system to make sure the problem is controlled.

The EPA recommends testing homes and schools to be sure you are not at risk. Water Dr. will test, diagnose and remove radon from your property. To schedule an appointment please contact us at, (203) 732-8585.


About the Author:

BS Degree In Cell Biology Licensed Well Water Technician Certified Radon Tester and Mitigator 10+ years in Well Water Industry
  Related Posts
  • No related posts found.